Tuesday 1 February 2011

The love of junk.



I’ve always had an affection for old things - sometimes known as other people’s junk. On a Friday I do the week’s shopping at a local farmer’s market and will often pause to look over some of the non-food stalls. Here are some of my ‘winnings’ from the last two weeks. My father’s birthday is coming up soon and he can be a very difficult person to buy for. However I know a couple of antique wood working planes ($20) will make his day and a first edition of Ulysses ($3) I know will throw him into raptures. As for the two brass blowtorches, well I like brass ornaments in my house and these two old torches ($5 each will look well in my traditional kitchen. What with the recession it’s a reminder that nice things don’t always have to cost a pile of money.

3 comments:

Dan said...

Did anyone appear when you polished the lamps Saff? I really envy you the Ulysses btw. Sure you wouldn't like to keep it for my birthday?

Soulstar said...

I love antiques as well, which are oft referred to as junk or worthless trinkets by others. But as the saying goes, "one person's trash is another person's treasure." (the same holds true for people and relationships) Regarding material things, for me it's a fascination with past history of origin and purpose, combined with honoring interest and appreciation for how things used to be made and by whom. I think your banjo and the items in this photo are all very cool finds, Saffy. Thank you for sharing them! :)

kimmie coco puff said...

I admire old things. I always get sucked in to those Auction Road Shows....so many neat things people bring in and get appraised. Now I feel like traveling to "whole in the wall" towns and seeing what i can find.