Monday 17 January 2011

In Honor of Martin Luther King, Jr.

I don’t expect everyone will view this presentation in one sitting, because combined, the videos equate to about an hour. But I urge you to return at some point to see the rest as you can in its entirety. I was hard pressed to narrow it down to just the following videos in order to celebrate him as completely as his legacy merits. Saffron has a wonderful contribution to share just below my post which goes hand in hand with my portion to be embraced together. We hope you enjoy both and have a blessed day! :)



The following video tribute is very aptly titled as "a must-see."



This video is my personal favorite because it allows one to completely focus on his message alone, and quietly absorb his unique delivery of it, while not having your senses similtaneously assaulted with unfortunate real time grueling aspects of his journey just to reach that historical pinnacle.



The background music toward the end gave me a headache and I feel distracts from the video, however additional information was covered here not found in the others, therefore I included it.



This video is based on the book "Martin's Big Words" by Doreen Rappaport, for the education of childen and gently brings Dr Martin Luther King Jr.'s message home. I've added it in the event anyone with children wishing to cover this topic perhaps for the first time as a family unit has a wonderful introductory means to do so on a level easiest for children to understand.



I like this video because it is a reminder that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s message is timeless and universally applicable. It does not just focus on one point in history nor a single country or nation, but rather the entire world and demonstrates humanitarian challenges are present throughout all era's.



I hope this video fosters encouragment for all dreamers 'to never give up.' One person CAN make a difference. Your name doesn't have to be Martin Luther King, Mother Teresa, Mahatma Gandhi, or Sabine Zlatin to help create positive change within yourself, your friends, your family, neighbors, co-workers, or even total strangers. It starts with a respectful attitude that generates loving behavior. It gains momentum through individual acts of kindness. It spreads and grows by nuturing each other to graceful reflection by setting good examples and paying it forward each time we are blessed unexpectedly by an angel of mercy or granted a positive guiding light.

Those beacons are meant to pull us out of the trenches we've allowed ourselves to sink in. To stop spinning our wheels in ruts of idleness wasting opportunites to progress further or try harder to inspire. While we can't rid the world of negative chaos, we can curtail and temper it with our personal truth and spirituality to help offer a greater balance.

We can do better, all of us, both separately and together. I believe that wholeheartedly and plan to dig for inner strength and empowerment to restore my own broken spirit so that I might be of service to others again, just as many have been mini-miracles for me along the way...one as recent as Sunday morning.

Thank you Angel, you know who you are, and have humbled me profoundly. I'm grateful for the renewal of faith this years Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Day has bestowed on me. It's the wake-up call I needed and I pray it touches all of you in some remarkable way as well.

8 comments:

Saffron said...

All nations have great people, great leaders etc. Sometimes however, the hallmark, the scale, of their greatness is best viewed through the eyes of outsiders. Here across The Pond, Martin Luther King is seen to bestride the cause of Freedom like a colossus and for many is ‘The Greatest American.’

At the moment in the aftermath of George Bush and other flag-wrappers ‘Great American’ now sounds like it has something to do with a steadfast, unthinking patriotism and jingoism that stands against criticism, no matter how soundly grounded. Martin Luther King is a salutary reminder that sometimes Great Americans are those who stand up and criticize what they know is surely wrong. That is equally patriotic and is what moves the world forward.

Over here Martin Luther King’s ‘Dream’ speech was recorded and rushed onto the BBC news as it was clear that it was something very special, even if people didn’t know quite what. My father recalls watching it on the evening news, he said at first he was only half watching, then ‘suddenly the hair stood up on the back of his neck,’ and as he absorbed it he realised that the old order, the old hegemonies were finally over. That the ‘Times truly were a changin’. That there was a new world that he and other young people could lay claim to. To many here of his generation it remains the greatest speech they have ever heard. Listening to it again here, I’m inclined to agree. The speech has lost none of its import, or mesmeric, electrifying quality over the years like other similar speeches have. It still retains the capacity to move and inspire. That truly is the hallmark of greatness. Thank you very much for this wonderful post Camille.

Soulstar said...

Thank you Saffron. I'm with your Dad, it makes lil hairs stand up on back of neck. I could listen to him speak every day all day long, he's such an eloquent and inspirational speaker. I'm headed over to read your part now! :)

Dan said...

Thank you for a fantastic post Camille. A truly historic figure and an inspiration to all of us. Nobody can deliver oratory like that today.

‘But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt. We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this nation. And so, we've come to cash this check, a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and the security of justice.’

Nicky said...

It has been said, that for evil to prevail, all the needs to be done, is for good people to stand by, and let it happen.This represents not only a dark chapter in American history, but perhaps a shining moment, where a movement was born.

Everything and anything good,is always built on the hard work, of those who went before. Martin Luther stands as an example, of what can be done, when people band together. There is much work to be done.

Great work, Camille. I knew you were working on this article, but unprepared for the scope and magnitude of it. I can see this was a lot of work. many kudos.

Liss said...

Thank you Camille. Some of this I have seen, and others I have not. I watched the "Dream" speech already this morning, and have listened to a few other snippets on the radio... I also had the hair standing up on my neck as I listened. Even writing this, I feel a swell of both pride that a man of his character was born in my country, and shame at the reasons for his renown and for his ultimate fate. My daughter recently had to write an essay on Mr. King, and we watched the speech together, afterwords we sat and talked for a long while about race and my countrie's role in it. These many years later, Mr. King's words have still brought about a heeling and undisputed wisdom.
Thanks again Cammie!

Soulstar said...

Your individual input and feedback is much appreciated Dan, Nicky, and Liss. My heartfelt thanks to all of you as well! :)

-Twister- said...

Camille... much love to you for this.

This is amazing. Thank you for posting.

Soulstar said...

You're very welcome, Twister, it was my pleasure and a privilege to do so... I can only hope it was adequate enough. *hugsss